Implementing gun control measures and ensuring responsible ownership will protect our children from gun violence. Period.
Our children are being slaughtered by gun violence
The link between guns and child safety is undeniable. According to PEW Research gun deaths among children and teens went up 50% between 2019 and 2021. In 2021, there were 2,590 deaths due to firearms among children and teenagers under the age of 18. In 2020, there were more than 11,000 ER visits due to non-fatal gun injuries, often as a result of accidents involving improperly stored or handled firearms. Gun violence and its impact on the safety of children is a serious issue that has significant consequences for children, their families and the functioning of democratic societies.
Gun violence can take many forms, including mass shootings, rioting, domestic violence, and accidents. Gun violence has a direct impact on public safety and is a serious issue that affects communities across the country. It can have a devastating impact on families and serious consequences for the well-being of children.
To combat the impact of gun violence on the safety of children, there are several steps that can be taken:
- Strengthen gun laws including efforts to require background checks for all gun purchases, limit access to high-capacity magazines and assault weapons, and close loopholes that allow individuals to purchase guns without undergoing a background check.
- Promote gun safety through safe storage of guns, education about gun safety, and programs to encourage individuals to turn in guns that are no longer needed.
- Support mental health to increase access to mental health care, reduce stigma associated with mental illness, and provide resources for individuals who may be at risk of harming themselves or others.
- Address root causes as an important tool in the fight for children’s safety. This can include efforts to address social and economic inequality, promote community cohesion, and reduce the prevalence of violence in society.
- Support gun safety candidates and organizations in all levels of government.
Children & Teens (ages 0-19)
shot and killed annually in the US
Children & Teens (ages 0-19)
shot and wounded annually in the US
That's an average of
children and teens every day
Take Action to Protect Our Children
Learn With Us
Tent Talk: Civic InfluencersBigTent Zoom Room
Maxim Thorne, CEO of Civic Influencers, will join on on Tuesday, June 6th at 12pm ET. Civic Influencers gives young voters on-the-ground data and winning strategies on campuses and in communities to boost civic power and impact elections. Read Thorne's latest Washington Post Op-Ed article here on the Right's effort to silence young voters. ABOUT […]
Spotlight Speakers: Billy Ray and Gretchen Barton with Rep. Susan Wild (D-PA), moderated by Sanjyot P. DunungBigTent Zoom Room
Academy Award-Nominated Screenwriter, Billy Ray and Public Opinion Researcher, Gretchen Barton and Rep. Susan Wild (D-PA) & moderated by Author Sanjyot P. Dunung will discuss how voters feel about the state […]
Spotlight Speaker: Professor Larry Diamond with Anne WednerBigTent Zoom Room
On Wednesday, June 21st at 7pm ET, Professor Larry Diamond, Professor of Political Science and Sociology at Stanford University, specializing in democracy studies, Author, Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution, […]
Spotlight Speaker: Stephen VladeckBigTent Zoom Room
Stephen Vladeck, Author of The Shadow Docket: How the Supreme Court Uses Stealth Rulings to Amass Power and Undermine the Republic will join us on on Wednesday, June 28th at […]
Read More About Protecting Our Children
How did we get here?
Turbocharging student voters
Navigating The Past To Understand the Present
Not So Proud: Seditious Conspiracy
Ballot Measures, Big Bucks
Bucking democracy in Ohio
More Issues we care about
Other Pro-Democracy Issues
At BigTentUSA we put democracy above partisanship. And we’re building a women-led voter coalition that does just that. We care about protecting the guardrails of democracy, ensuring government accountability and transparency, and increasing civic participation.
We provide accessible resources to help women become informed and take action. Join us in building a stronger and more inclusive democracy for all.